As part of a world leading geotechnical contracting group, Bachy Soletanche specialises in all aspects of modern Geotechnics and Foundation Engineering, including bored and displacement piling, diaphragm walls, grouting, mini piling, anchors, ground improvements and environmental engineering. To complement and strengthen our Major Project teams, we are looking to recruit an Apprentice Piling Operative. This exciting technical apprenticeship programme offers on the job training and qualifications to start building a rewarding career in construction.
About The Project…
The HS2, N1/ N2 project covers the northern 90km section of Phase 1 of the overall HS2 scheme to provide a new high-speed rail connection between London and the North of England.
SB3 are a joint venture incorporating Balfour Beatty Ground Engineering (BBGE) and Bachy Soletanche Ltd (BSL), and are appointed by BBV, (Balfour Beatty/ Vinci JV), to deliver the geotechnical works required along the approximately 90km of route from Leamington Spa to Lichfield.
The works comprises extensive geotechnical works including:
- Circa. 9km of Diaphragm Walls at 9 individual structures.
- 28No. Secant/ contiguous structures totalling 150,000 lin. m of piling
- Plunge Columns, Tension Piles, Ground Anchors, Soil Nails and Ground Improvement
- 103No. Piled bridges & viaducts.
Programme is for commencement of construction works in August 2020, with a duration of circa 4 years to complete. This is a key infrastructure project and with circa £100m of spend per annum the geotechnical works is a significant element of the works for the project.
Apprentice Piling Operative Role
As an Apprentice Piling Operative, the main purpose of the role is to complete a two year piling apprenticeship, achieving the required training and qualifications. Undertake a further (Company required) Improver year to establish a chosen direction or discipline, to meet Business needs.
Our 2-year Apprentice Piling Operatives will take responsibility in the following areas:
- Ensuring the correct PPE is worn and importance communicated across site
- Ensuring the health and safety of themselves and their colleagues
- Attending professional and field-relevant training (including travel across the UK)
- Attending site-based NVQ meetings as required and representing the company/JV
- Recording operating data such as quantities, stocks used and materials/substances
- Material logistics onsite, i.e. distributing construction equipment as instructed, ensuring safety
- Assisting with loading/unloading of vehicles, supplies and equipment
- Transport tools, equipment and assets between work areas
- Assembly and disassembly of ramps, catwalks, shoring, exclusion zones and barricades on construction sites
- Ensure compliance with procedures with respect to: Network Rail, Major Infrastructure projects, Safety Critical & Health Surveillance medicals, and Drug & Alcohol testing.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Enthusiasm and motivation regarding the project
- Willingness to listen, learn and obtain feedback from foreman/supervisors/mentors
- Happy to work under limited direct supervision
- Able to use own initiative and judgement, positively receptive to constructive feedback
- Relationship maintenance with personnel, i.e. Project/Contracts Manager and contractors onsite
- Flexible in terms of location (within the UK), overtime hours and bank holidays within reason
- Activeness to comply with policy and procedure and promote best practice in line with Quality Assurance
- Must enthusiastic and motivated, gain respect of the workforce, have the ability to listen to ideas and obtain feedback from Supervisors, Foremen & mentors.
- Be self-motivated and be able to work with limited direct management, must be able to use their own initiative and judgement, complete the required Apprenticeship Training modules and associated NVQ’s.
- Be able to maintain relationship with Site Management structure, Clients, (including Project Manager, Contracts Manager, workforce and other contractors on site).
- Flexibility – Has to be prepared to work anywhere within the UK to suit the company’s needs, including any Overtime hours, Weekend working, and shift-working as may be required.
- Be able to follow procedures, identify, utilise and promote best practice according to Quality procedures.
Physical Working Environment:
Our 2022 Apprentice Piling Operatives will be based on the HS2 Project, Birmingham (Midlands) in our Major Projects division with frequent site travel.
Study will take place at Stephenson’s College (Leicestershire) on a block-release basis.
If you would like any further information about the Apprentice Piling Operative role, please contact HR.