As part of a world leading geotechnical contracting group, Bachy Soletanche specialises in all aspects of modern Geotechnics and Foundation Engineering, including bored and displacement piling, diaphragm walls, grouting, mini piling, anchors, ground improvements and environmental engineering. To complement and strengthen our Major Project teams, we are looking to recruit a Civil Engineering Technician. This exciting technical apprenticeship programme offers on the job training and qualifications to start building a rewarding career in construction!
About The Project…
The HS2, N1/ N2 project covers the northern 90km section of Phase 1 of the overall HS2 scheme to provide a new high-speed rail connection between London and the North of England.
SB3 are a joint venture incorporating Balfour Beatty Ground Engineering (BBGE) and Bachy Soletanche Ltd (BSL), and are appointed by BBV, (Balfour Beatty/ Vinci JV), to deliver the geotechnical works required along the approximately 90km of route from Leamington Spa to Lichfield.
The works comprises extensive geotechnical works including:
- Circa. 9km of Diaphragm Walls at 9 individual structures.
- 28No. Secant/ contiguous structures totalling 150,000 lin. m of piling
- Plunge Columns, Tension Piles, Ground Anchors, Soil Nails and Ground Improvement
- 103No. Piled bridges & viaducts.
Programme is for commencement of construction works in August 2020, with a duration of circa 4 years to complete. This is a key infrastructure project and with circa £100m of spend per annum the geotechnical works is a significant element of the works for the project.
The Civil Engineering Technician role will gain exposure in the following areas:
- Providing efficient and effective engineering solutions through supporting colleagues on the project
- Visit our construction sites and collaborate with other engineers, apprentices and undergraduate engineers
- Increase skill base and knowledge base by assisting with procurement of plant and equipment for contracts as appropriate
- Production of simple contract reports (writing and compilation)
- Produce weekly internal timesheets where required and ensure submission to contracts manager/payroll
- Reporting for contracts and site outputs in terms of progress, safety, commercial activity and quality assurance
- Supporting with general administrative tasks
- Processing of data entry and productivity information from sites into IT systems, ready for analysis
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- GCSE Grade C/Level 4+ in English and Maths (essential) – equivalent qualification types will be considered
- Level 3 in Construction and the Built Environment/Level 3 NVQ Construction Contracting (advantageous)
- Full driving licence or the commitment to learning to drive due to our remote site locations and accessibility
- Knowledge of basic engineering techniques (advantageous)
- Relevant work placement experience within Civil Engineering or Construction background (advantageous)
- Good IT skills including Microsoft Excel and Word
- Willing to learn product details and be flexible in terms of work and location
- Must enthusiastic and motivated, gain respect of the workforce, have the ability to listen to ideas and obtain feedback from Supervisors, Foremen & mentors.
- Be self-motivated and be able to work with limited direct management, must be able to use their own initiative and judgement, complete the required Apprenticeship Training modules and associated NVQ’s.
- Be able to maintain relationship with Site Management structure, Clients, (including Project Manager, Contracts Manager, workforce and other contractors on site).
- Flexibility – Has to be prepared to work anywhere within the UK to suit the company’s needs, including any Overtime hours, Weekend working, and shift-working as may be required.
- Be able to follow procedures, identify, utilise and promote best practice according to Quality procedures.
Physical Working Environment:
The Civil Engineering Technician role will be based in the UK (HS2 Birmingham in our Major Projects division or in Surrey in the Core business) with frequent site travel. Study will take place at Stephenson’s College (Leicestershire) on a block-release basis.
Location: Birmingham, West Midlands
If you would like any further information about the Apprentice Piling Operative role, please contact HR.