As part of a world leading geotechnical contracting group, Bachy Soletanche Ltd specialises in all aspects of Geotechnics and Foundation Engineering, including bored and displacement piling, diaphragm walls, grouting, mini piling, anchors, ground improvements and environmental engineering. We have a fantastic opportunity to join our Major Projects team as a Hydrofraise Operator on our HS2 Area North, West Midlands sites.
About The Project
The HS2, N1/ N2 project covers the northern 90km section of Phase 1 of the overall HS2 scheme to provide a new high-speed rail connection between London and the North of England. SB3 are a joint venture incorporating Balfour Beatty Ground Engineering (BBGE) and Bachy Soletanche Ltd (BSL), and are appointed by BBV, (Balfour Beatty/ Vinci JV), to deliver the geotechnical works required along the approximately 90km of route from Leamington Spa to Litchfield.
The works comprises extensive geotechnical works including:
- Circa. 9km of Diaphragm Walls at 9 individual structures.
- 28No. Secant/ contiguous structures totalling 150,000 lin. m of piling
- Plunge Columns, Tension Piles, Ground Anchors, Soil Nails and Ground Improvement
- 103No. Piled bridges & viaducts.
Programme is for commencement of construction works in October 2020, with a duration of circa 4 years to complete. This is a key infrastructure project and with circa £100m of spend per annum the geotechnical works is a significant element of the works for the project.
Main Purpose Of a Hydrofraise Operator
To operate Hydrofaise/Cutter machinery safely and to instruction. The machines excavate holes up to 10m long and 1.5m thick to depths of up to 100m with complex guidance, operating and control systems. Tasks involve the performance of complex physical duties that require a degree of initiative, manual dexterity and other practical skills.
Operates Hydraulic BAYA or KS grab mounted on a hydraulic crawler crane a complete set of geotechnical excavation equipment developed within the Soletanche Bachy group, while meeting all Soletanche Bachy and applicable safety and quality standards.
Reports to: Site Supervisor
- To ensure the works are carried out in the most efficient and safe manner.
- Detailed working knowledge of Hydraulic BAYA or KS grab operation processes and procedures, a machine and software specifically developed and designed by the Soletanche Bachy group.
- Responsible for the maintenance and documentation of the equipment operated, including the specific software.
- Demonstrate positive attitude and behaviour towards safety
- Report all near misses, hazards or observations via the hotline and to the site Supervisor
- Monitor and react to site conditions (Platform deterioration) and report to site Supervisor
- Follow company/manufacturers procedures to ensure standards are met
- Notify the Site Supervisor and Plant Department where required of any matters that affect the progress of works (including breakdowns & damages, etc.) and ensuring to obtain a job number
- When taking over from another operator, lower boom and check for damage and if any found inform Supervisor immediately & enter onto report sheet
- Ensure daily maintenance checks are carried out, reports are correctly completed on time and submitted to the site Supervisor and Plant Department
- Competent to sign off Crane fit for work afters fitters have signed off crane if required
- Regular checks of Cat Head and Jib Sections in line with Company Policy
- Be familiar with lifting operations and ensure these are carried out safely, to the job specifications and signed
- Always listen and operate to the instructions/commands of the Piling Operative using radios provided (primary slinger/signaller)
- Be prepared to work overtime/flexible on breaks as and when the contract requires
- Willingness to help others within the team (especially when the crane is stood)
- Be able to contribute good ideas for business improvement
- Constant collaboration with the Piling Operative assigned to the crane (primary slinger/signaller)
- Ensure exclusion zones are maintained including gates and appropriate signage
- Notify the site Supervisor and Plant Department (where required) of any matters that affect the progress of works (including breakdowns & damages, etc.) and ensuring to obtain a job number
- Ensure daily maintenance checks are carried out, reports are correctly completed on time and submitted to the site Supervisor/Plant Department
- Take pride in the condition of the rig
- Maintain adequate radio contact with Rig Attendant
- Monitor and react to ground/site conditions including Piling Platform
- Ensure inspection of Cat Head carried to individual sites inspection regime and recorded
- Constant collaboration with relevant team members
- Ensure exclusion zones are maintained including signage, gate, etc by working closely with your designated Rig Attendant
- Liaise with Plant Supervisor where required
- Willingness to teach and share knowledge with others when necessary Have a good knowledge of working in different ground conditions with varying techniques
Personal Qualities and Experience Required
The following qualities/experience are essential to the Hydrofraise Operator role:
- Requires experience with, and an understanding of, the work situation, the materials worked with and the requirements of the structures, machinery and other items produced.
- Knowledge of site method statements, procedures, risk assessments and site specific rules (including lift plans)
- Knowledge of piling techniques in discipline, in particular Diaphragm Wall
- Good communication skills (to all levels including Supervisors)
- Experience of digging under Bentonite Fluid
- Proactively challenge and be challenged where appropriate
- Ability to problem solve where required
- Crawler Crane over 10 Tonne CPCS ( Competent Operator Blue card)
- HSE CSCS card
- Relevant manufacture/supplier training where required
- Maintenance training
- Experience in Diaphragm Wall construction/HydroFraise
- Good understanding of Hydraulic systems
The following qualities/experience:
- Working towards NVQ level 2
- Experience in other piling techniques
- Piling Rig bored above 20Tonne CPCS ( Competent Operator Blue card
- Slinger/signaller CPCS (Competent Operator Blue Card)
Team player: Positive and passionate attitude towards work
Action Taker: Gets the job done and done well
Positive: Positive and passionate attitude towards work
Physical Working Environment
HS2 Area North, West Midlands