As part of a world leading geotechnical contracting group, Bachy Soletanche Ltd specialises in all aspects of modern Geotechnics and Foundation Engineering, including bored and displacement piling, diaphragm walls, grouting, mini piling, anchors, ground improvements and environmental engineering. We have a fantastic opportunity to join our High Speed 2 Joint Venture construction project, based in Birmingham, as the Quality Advisor. The role will be site-based and will involve a wide variety of HR interventions.
About The Project
The HS2, N1/ N2 project covers the northern 90km section of Phase 1 of the overall HS2 scheme to provide a new high-speed rail connection between London and the North of England.
A joint venture incorporating Balfour Beatty Ground Engineering (BBGE) and Bachy Soletanche Ltd (BSL)have been appointed by BBV, (Balfour Beatty/ Vinci JV) to deliver the geotechnical works required along the approximately 90km of route from Leamington Spa to Lichfield.
The works comprises extensive geotechnical works including:
- Circa. 9km of Diaphragm Walls at 9 individual structures.
- 28No. Secant/ contiguous structures totalling 150,000 lin. m of piling
- Plunge Columns, Tension Piles, Ground Anchors, Soil Nails and Ground Improvement
- 103No. Piled bridges & viaducts.
Programme is for commencement of construction works in August 2020, with a duration of circa 4 years to complete. This is a key infrastructure project and with circa £100m of spend per annum the geotechnical works is a significant element of the works for the project.
Reports to: Quality Manager
Key Tasks of the Quality Advisor
- Supporting delivery teams in achieving the required deliverables, offering quality assistance as required;
- Using digital systems to monitor the performance of quality planning / production of quality deliverables / management of defects & NCRs against targets;
- Attending pre-start meetings for significant projects (either in terms of value, complexity or QA/QC requirements);
- Providing Quality-related training to equip the business with the skills to drive improvements in Quality performance;
- Carrying out Quality Inspections to maintain quality standards and best practice;
- Interaction with the Quality Managers & wider Risk Audit Quality functions;
- Providing production and implementation of the Internal Audit Programme, carrying out local and supplier audits in line with its objectives, and support contracts with external audits (e.g. DNV GL, );
- Engaging with JV partners as required to agree the management system and governance structure for JV projects (where applicable);
- Overseeing the maintenance of the Business Management System, supporting delivery teams as required, and maintaining project documentation to reflect the latest requirements.
- Driving improvements in Construction Excellence;
- Assisting with the delivery of Parent Company Innovation and 25% by 2025 goals, particularly relating to reducing waste and digitisation;
- Implementing other improvements as directed by the Senior Leadership Team.
Knowledge and Experience
The following qualifications are essential for the Quality Advisor role:
- Industry Experience and Industry specific qualifications i.e. Civil or Geotechical Engineering
- Sound analytical skills, competent in Excel and other statistical analytical software,
- Experience of working with accreditation bodies,
- Carrying out local audits & managing accreditation audits;
- Experience in driving business improvement and leading change within a business;
- Has an ability to gather, analyse and evaluate facts;
- Can work to plans, programmes and budgets;
- Pays attention to detail and sees things through to completion;
- Can deliver reports orally and written in an objective and persuasive manner;
- Has good interpersonal and communication skills;
- Able to work within a multi-discipline team;
- Is good at building relationships and can influence effectively;
- Can demonstrate initiative and resilience;
- Ability to challenge existing methods and ways of thinking;
- Fully proficient in modern office computer systems and technology;
- Either a CQI Practitioner/Member or working towards practitioner/membership status.
- Driving Licence
Team player: Positive and passionate attitude towards work
Action Taker: Gets the job done and done well
Positive: Positive and passionate attitude towards work
Physical Working Environment
The role is site-based in Birmingham and will involve office-based tasks and also interaction and meetings out on our construction sites.