As part of a world leading geotechnical contracting group, Bachy Soletanche Limited specialise in all aspects of modern Geotechnics and Foundation Engineering, including bored and displacement piling, diaphragm walls, grouting, mini piling, anchors, ground improvements and environmental engineering. To complement and strengthen our existing teams, we have a fantastic opportunity to join our High Speed 2 Joint Venture construction project as a Site-Based Fitter, based in on-site in Birmingham.
About The Project
The HS2, N1/ N2 project covers the northern 90km section of Phase 1 of the overall HS2 scheme to provide a new high-speed rail connection between London and the North of England. A joint venture incorporating Balfour Beatty Ground Engineering (BBGE) and Bachy Soletanche Ltd (BSL) were appointed by BBV, (Balfour Beatty/ Vinci JV), to deliver the geotechnical works required along the approximately 90km of route from Leamington Spa to Litchfield.
The works comprises extensive geotechnical works including:
- Circa. 9km of Diaphragm Walls at 9 individual structures.
- 28No. Secant/ contiguous structures totalling 150,000 lin. m of piling
- Plunge Columns, Tension Piles, Ground Anchors, Soil Nails and Ground Improvement
- 103No. Piled bridges & viaducts.
Programme is for commencement of construction works in October 2020, with a duration of circa 4 years to complete. This is a key infrastructure project and with circa £100m of spend per annum the geotechnical works is a significant element of the works for the project.
Main Purpose Of The Job
The main role of the Fitter is to carry out preparation, repairs and scheduled maintenance of mechanical plant and equipment, safely, efficiently and to a good standard.
Key Tasks of the Fitter
- Always follow the Balfour Beatty 4 Golden Rules
- To ensure the works are carried out in the most efficient and safe manner
- Demonstrate positive attitude and behaviour towards safety
- Maintain and Repair Heavy Construction Equipment, to include the following, Electrical Diagrams,Engines and Fuel Systems, Transmissions, AGM, CFA, LDP, and Bentonite Equipment, Fault Finding
- Follow company/manufacturers procedures to ensure standards are met
- Notify the Site Supervisor of any matters that affect the progress of works (including breakdowns & damages, etc.)
- Ensure daily maintenance checks are carried out, reports are correctly completed on time and submitted to the site Supervisor.
- Good Records and Report Writing where required
- Ensure the site is kept clean and tidy at all times
- Be willing to listen and learn in all areas of process
- Always asking questions to understand procedures
- Ensure relevant task briefings have been carried out prior to tasks undertaken
- Make sure the quality and quantity of work produced is at required levels
- Be prepared to work overtime/flexible on breaks as and when the contract requires
- Willingness to help others within the team
- Demonstrate the Balfour Beatty Behaviours (6 E’s)
- Be able to contribute good ideas for business improvement
- Willingness to teach others when needed
- Be pro-active and think ahead on the project by working closely with Chargehands & Supervisors
- Willingness to teach others when needed
- Ability to lead by example
Internal: Senior Management team, SB3 site teams, JV Partner Plant Teams, BB Hire desk, Supervisors, Operators and Operatives
External: Subcontractors and suppliers
Technical and Personal Skills
The following qualities/experience are essential for the Fitter role:
- Good communication skills (to all levels including Supervisors)
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Proactively challenge and be challenged where appropriate
- Good Knowledge of all piling equipment
- Good Knowledge of Piling Diaphragm Wall
- Repair and maintenance of Internal Plant
- Able to follow Manufacturers Manuals , and understand electrics and Hydraulics
- Liaise with Manufacturer, reporting any defects or faults
- Is able to work unsupervised to achieve desired results
- HSE CSCS card
- Relevant manufacture/supplier training where required
- Maintenance training
- Knowledge of site method statements, procedures, risk assessments and site specific rules (including lift plans)
- Knowledge of piling techniques in rotary discipline
- Site experience
- Specific skill/qualification relevant to project role
The following qualities/experience are desirable for the Fitter role:
- Slinger/Signaller CPCS (Competent Operator Blue card)
Smart: Thinks broadly about the business, going beyond own professional knowledge to demonstrate sound judgement. Generates innovative approaches with potentially significant long-term impact.
Driven: Demonstrates complete focus and determination to achieve successful outcomes. Is a self-starter and takes the initiative in situations.
Agile: Learns quickly, adapting thought and action to changing business and customer demands. Is energised by change.
Influential: Builds commitment to act through winning hearts and minds. Is respected by colleagues and seen as role model by others.
Teamwork and Collaboration: Puts aside personal agendas to work for the benefit of customers and suppliers and other stakeholders. Proactively builds knowledge capability through sharing knowledge, ideas and expertise with others.
Change Leadership: Champions breakthrough ideas and initiatives. Takes appropriate, managed risks to achieve a recognised benefit. Demonstrates confidence and commitment to see change through. Clears blocks to progress.
Physical Working Environment
Site role in Birmingham on N1/N2 Sites.