As part of a world leading geotechnical contracting group, Bachy Soletanche Ltd specialises in all aspects of Geotechnics and Foundation Engineering, including bored and displacement piling, diaphragm walls, grouting, mini piling, anchors, ground improvements and environmental engineering. We have a fantastic opportunity to join our HS2 Major Projects Team covering all our projects as a Piling Operative on our HS2 site works.
About The Project
The HS2, N1/ N2 project covers the northern 90km section of Phase 1 of the overall HS2 scheme to provide a new high-speed rail connection between London and the North of England. SB3 are a joint venture incorporating Balfour Beatty Ground Engineering (BBGE) and Bachy Soletanche Ltd (BSL), and are appointed by BBV, (Balfour Beatty/ Vinci JV), to deliver the geotechnical works required along the approximately 90km of route from Leamington Spa to Litchfield.
The works comprises extensive geotechnical works including:
- Circa. 9km of Diaphragm Walls at 9 individual structures.
- 28No. Secant/ contiguous structures totalling 150,000 lin. m of piling
- Plunge Columns, Tension Piles, Ground Anchors, Soil Nails and Ground Improvement
- 103No. Piled bridges & viaducts.
Programme is for commencement of construction works in October 2020, with a duration of circa 4 years to complete. This is a key infrastructure project and with circa £100m of spend per annum the geotechnical works is a significant element of the works for the project.
Main Purpose Of A Piling Operative
Ensure all piling operations are carried out safely, efficiently and to a good standard.
Reports to: Site Supervisor (Under Supervisors instructions while on site and take direction from Chargehand on a day-to-day basis).
- To ensure the works are carried out in the most efficient and safe manner
- Demonstrate positive attitude and behaviour towards safety
- Report all near misses, hazards or observations via the hotline and to the site Supervisor
- Follow company/manufacturers procedures to ensure standards are met
- Notify the Site Supervisor of any matters that affect the progress of works (including breakdowns & damages, etc.)
- Ensure daily maintenance checks are carried out, reports are correctly completed on time and submitted to the site Supervisor
- Operate as Primary or Secondary Signaller when appointed
- Ensure the site is kept clean and tidy at all times
- Be willing to listen and learn in all areas of process
- Always asking questions to understand procedures
- Ensure relevant task briefings have been carried out prior to tasks undertaken
- Make sure the quality and quantity of work produced is at required levels
- Be prepared to work overtime/flexible on breaks as and when the contract requires
- Willingness to help others within the team
- Be able to contribute good ideas for business improvement
- Willingness to teach others when needed
Personal Qualities and Experience Required
Individuals applying for the piling operative role require:
- Good communication skills (to all levels including Supervisors)
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Proactively challenge and be challenged where appropriate
- Ensure completion of trainee programme during time in role
- Slinger/Signaller CPCS (Competent Operator Blue card)
- HSE CSCS card
- Relevant manufacture/supplier training where required
- Maintenance training
- Knowledge of site method statements, procedures, risk assessments and site specific rules (including lift plans)
- Knowledge of piling techniques in rotary discipline
- Site experience
- Specific skill/qualification relevant to project role
Physical Working Environment
The role is based in Birmingham, within the N1/N2 site.