As part of a world leading geotechnical contracting group, Bachy Soletanche Limited specialises in all aspects of modern Geotechnics and Foundation Engineering, Including bored and displacement piling, diaphragm walls, grouting, mini piling, anchors, ground improvements and environmental engineering. We have a fantastic opportunity to join our High Speed 2 Joint Venture construction project, based in Birmingham, as a Quantity Surveyor.
About The Project
The HS2, N1/ N2 project covers the northern 90km section of Phase 1 of the overall HS2 scheme to provide a new high-speed rail connection between London and the North of England.
SB3 are a joint venture incorporating Balfour Beatty Ground Engineering (BBGE) and Bachy Soletanche Ltd (BSL), and are appointed by BBV, (Balfour Beatty/ Vinci JV), to deliver the geotechnical works required along the approximately 90km of route from Leamington Spa to Lichfield.
The works comprises extensive geotechnical works including:
- Circa. 9km of Diaphragm Walls at 9 individual structures.
- 28No. Secant/ contiguous structures totalling 150,000 lin. m of piling
- Plunge Columns, Tension Piles, Ground Anchors, Soil Nails and Ground Improvement
- 103No. Piled bridges & viaducts.
Programme is for commencement of construction works in August 2020, with a duration of circa 4 years to complete. This is a key infrastructure project and with circa £100m of spend per annum the geotechnical works is a significant element of the works for the project.
Main Purpose of the Quantity Surveyor
As the Quantity Surveyor, the role involves supporting other more senior members of the commercial team in delivering the varied commercial duties as well as being responsible for procuring and managing our supply chain. They actively seek to minimise the costs of a project and enhance value for money, while still achieving the required standards and quality for our Customers. Typically a QS will be chartered or in the final stages of achieving professional membership of the RICS, ICES or CIOB and will be a peer role model for those less experienced members of the commercial team.
Not limited to:
- Has a good knowledge of and adheres to the Company’s GMCEs, BMS and other governance
- Analytical Thinking & Decision Making
- Orders information and systematically checks data
- Cost Engineering
- Measure, record & value work unsupervised in accordance with appropriate rules and procedures
- Measure & interpret specifications & drawings
- Build up estimates from first principle including net and gross estimates
- Translate measurement from drawings and Specifications and prepare Bills of Quantities and Schedules of rates Planning
- Review weekly, monthly, section programmes of works
- Plan commercial activities to meet requirements of section programmes
- Have an understanding of delay and disruption programmes
- Project Management
- Use the company’s ERP System
- Collation of Cost and Value Information
- Preparation of Cost reconciliation statements
- Collect information required to specify procurement requirements
- Record and document information including registration of interest
- Understand the steps / documentation required
- Commercial Management
- Undertakes customer and stakeholder management for their area of responsibility
- Collation of cost and value information
- Measurement of works and agreements with subcontractors
- Development, Recruitment and Retention
- Maintain a Personal Development Plan
- Supports the development of others
- Working towards professional membership from the RICS, ICES or CIOB
Internal: Commercial and wider Project Team
External: Subcontractors, Customers, & Stakeholders
Knowledge and Experience
The Quantity Surveyor role requires the successful candidate to be very good at prioritising and balancing the workload, focusing on the most important issues of the day insofar as they relate to each business without forgetting those tasks which still need to be done to run an efficient commercial office within the Operation’s team.
The successful candidate will have a reasonably degree of freedom to use their own judgement however some higher-level decisions will need to be discussed with Senior Management and/or Directors. The candidate’s willingness to raise issues and enter into discussions within the team will only be considered a strength.
- BSc or MSc in Quantity Surveying or experience equivalent
- Achievement Focus (Achieving Results)
- Previous Commercial Work experience
- Industry knowledge
Team player: Positive and passionate attitude towards work
Action Taker: Gets the job done and done well
Positive: Positive and passionate attitude towards work
Physical Working Environment
Site Based – HS2 Area North, West Midlands